More trips to Transmission, more concerts, more new music than ever before...
So many wonderful memories with friends and family...
Thanks to all who shared this music with me. Here's to more great shared times and music in the coming years. And now for this year's selections.
Track 1: "I'm Shakin'" by Jack White.
I have to admit, I've been a little late to the White Stripes/Jack White party. Kapke and others have touted this man to my deaf ears for years. It must have worked as I selected this catchy tune to lead things off. Great drum beat and deep blues-influenced sound, Jack sounds like a modern Robert Plant. I love how he pronounces "noivoise" in this one.
Track 2:"Awkward" by San Cisco
Custom made for the sampler, this one falls in the tradition of Cults and Matt and Kim call-and-response male/female vocal combos of previous years. I'll say San Cisco might be even catchier than those great new bands. Could be the the Aussie accents or the pure catchiness of this tune, but this has to be up there for one of the best singles featured on the Current this year.
Track 3: "Trojans" by Atlas Genius
Look for this new album to pop in February of next year. This single promises good things from yet another new Aussie band. Brothers Keith and Michael Jeffrey debuted this song on MTV's reincarnation of their classic 120 Minutes show in January. This one finally hit the airwaves at the Current late in the year. For those lucky enough - they will be in town on March 08, 2013 at the Varsity theater for a one in a string of sold out shows through the midwest.
Track 4: "This Head I Hold" by Electric Guest
Danger Mouse produced this toe-tapping gem. Electric Guest hails from LA and is another band consisting of brothers. They've been around since 2005, but this was their break out year (the first I'd heard of them as well). They performed SXSW, Bonnaroo, and Sasquatch. Did anyone catch them on tour when they came through town?
Track 5: "Little Talks" by Of Monsters And Men
This track grew on me over the year. It got very heavy airplay on the Current, and by the time I was compiling this list I found that I had gained a big appreciation for it. Another band with both male and female vocals - are you seeing any trends yet this year? They hail from Iceland joining the Sugarcubes as other favorites from the tiny island country. They've been labeled the new Arcade Fire. I have to admit I've never liked any Arcade Fire song as much as I've enjoyed this one.
Track 6: "Lost" by Frank Ocean
Love this groove. I think this may be the closest thing to mainstream on the list. I read that this song wasn't a proper single. How? Why? Who cares? It was the soundtrack song for summer on the Current. Frank Ocean was also notable this year for coming out on tumblr. This was, apparently, a big deal. I just really like this song. A lot.
Track 7: "Soul Killing" by The Ting Tings
Hailing from musical treasure Manchester, UK - the Ting Tings released their sophomore album Sounds from Nowheresville this year. It got far less attention than their debut did a few years back. Nevertheless, this track caught my attention back in March as I compiled a sampler for our 4th straight road trip to Colorado with the Parmekars. Consistent favorable response from everyone on that trip told me I wasn't alone in liking it.
Track 8: "Emmylou" by First Aid Kit
You know a song's amazing when it transcends a genre you can't tolerate and it finds a way to lodge itself into your skull. That's this song. Despite it's twangy country sound, I could not shake this one loose. What blows me a away most is that it's a sister duo from Sweden. How can this be you say? I don't know. Just try to forget this song. I bet you can't.
Track 9: "Betty Wang" by Hospitality
Shame, shame, shame on you Current for not giving this band airplay. Why did I have to discover this band from a co-worker (thanks, Michelle!) all the way from Seattle who heard about them on KEXP? They performed twice in town this year at the 400 Bar both times. Amy and AndyW joined me the first time. The second time I went solo. What a treat to see this promising young band in such an intimate venue! If wearing through a digital album were possible, I would have done it with this one. From top to bottom - catchy, clever, pop numbers sung by Amber Papini's irresistible voice. It's no surprise that 2012 best of lists from Amazon to Rolling Stone include Hospitality. Let's hope the Current catches on in time for their sophomore debut.
Track 10: "Cynthia" by Millionyoung
Ooooh the 80's sound. This is so far into my wheelhouse I had no choice to put it on list list. Millionyoung is Mike Diaz, also from Florida, clearly influenced by all the same artists I call favorites from the 80's. I'm hoping to hear this one at Transmission nights to come. It certainly fits the theme. Word has it that Jake's a fan of this tune as well.
Track 11: "Back Of Your Neck" by Howler
Ah to be young, opinionated and brash... Minneapolis band Howler's lead singer Jordan Gatesmith generated some controversy this summer when he was quoted dissing the Minneapolis music scene for the past 30 years in the London press. Howler's popularity is quite large over the pond and with it has come a heave helping of attitude. Devinesy and I were at the Varsity to hear them play their full catalog 40 minute set this spring. Amy and I also watched Jordan perform a song at a wonderful gathering of 80's MSP rockers at the Walker in August.
Track 12: "Around My Way (Freedom Ain't Free)" by Lupe Fiasco
I don't just put together these year end samplers. I use any road trip as an opportunity to entertain myself by putting together some songs that will make the ride a little more enjoyable. This is one I found while putting together some tunes for our Ragnar relay run from Madison to Chicago this year. I tried to find as many Wisconsin and Chicago artists to put on it as I could. When I found this Lupe Fiasco number I couldn't resist. I enjoyed it so much it made it's way onto this list as well. Ed and I may be the only ones in support, but that's OK - I'm still feeling my way around the hip hop world and songs like this help me understand what I like.
No comments:
Post a Comment